The internet isn’t always the child-friendly, knowledgeable fairyland that people make it out to be. For every sweet blog post, you come across, there is a dark and inappropriate website, lurking around the corner, waiting to attack your PC. If you are tired of being cautious all the time and want to get rid of shady sites on the internet, then here’s a guide on how to block any website on your computer, phone, or network.
How to Block Any Website on Your Computer, Phone, or Network
Why Should I Block Websites?
Website blocking has become an essential part of many organizations, schools, and even households. It is a tactic employed by parents and teachers to prevent children from accessing sites that are not appropriate for their age. In the professional workplace, access to certain websites is restricted to ensure that employees do not lose focus and work on their assignments in a distraction-free environment. No matter the cause, website monitoring is an important segment of the internet and by following the methods mentioned below you will be able to block any website, anywhere.
Method 1: Block Any Website on Windows 10
Windows 10 is a widely used operating system and is primarily found in schools and other organizations. Blocking websites on Windows is an easy process and users can do so without even opening the web browser.
1. On your Windows PC, log in through the administrator account and open the ‘This PC’ application.
2. Using the address bar on top, go to the following file location:
3. In this folder, open the file titled ‘hosts.’ If Windows asks you to select an application to run the file, choose Notepad.
4. Your notepad file should look something like this.
5. To block a particular website, go to the bottom of the file and enter 127.0.0.1 followed by the name of the site you want to block. For instance, if you want to block Facebook, this is the code you will input: 127.0.0.1 https://www.facebook.com/
6. If you want to restrict more sites follow the same procedure and enter the code in the next line. Once you have made changes to the file, press Ctrl + S to save it.
Note: If you’re unable to save the file and get errors such as “access denied” then follow this guide .
7. Reboot your PC and you should be able to block any website on your Windows 10 computer.
Method 2: Block a Website on MacBook
The process of blocking a website on Mac is similar to the process in Windows.
1. On your MacBook, press F4 and search for the Terminal.
2. In the Nano text editor enter the following address:
sudo nano /private/etc/hosts.
Note: Type in your computer password if required.
3. In the ‘hosts’ file, enter 127.0.0.1 followed by the name of the website you want to block. Save the file and reboot your PC.
4. The particular website should be blocked.
Method 3: Block a Website on Chrome
In recent years, Google Chrome has almost become synonymous with the term web browser. The Google-based browser has revolutionized net surfing, making it easier to not only access new websites but also block suspicious ones. To bar access to websites on Chrome, you can use the BlockSite extension, a highly effective feature that gets the job done.
1. Open Google Chrome and install the BlockSite extension onto your browser.
2. Once the extension is installed, you will be redirected to the feature’s configuration page. During the initial setup, BlockSite will ask if you want to enable the automatic blocking feature. This will give the extension access to your internet usage patterns and history. If this sounds reasonable, you can click on “I Accept” and enable the feature.
3. On the main page of the extension, enter the name of the website you want to block in the empty text field. Once done, click on the green plus icon to complete the process.
4. Within BlockSite, you have various other features that will let you block specific categories of websites and create an internet plan to improve your focus. Additionally, you can program the extension to limit access to sites containing particular words or phrases, ensuring maximum security.
Note: The Google Chromebook runs on an interface similar to that of Chrome. Therefore, by using the BlockSite extension, you can bar websites on your Chromebook device as well.
Also Read: How to Block Websites on Chrome Mobile and Desktop
Method 4: Block Websites on Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Firefox is another browser that has been widely popular among internet users. Luckily, the BlockSite extension is available on the Firefox browser as well. Head to the Firefox addons menu and search for BlockSite . Download and install the extension and following the steps mentioned above, to block any website of your choice.
Method 5: How to Block a Website on Safari
Safari is the default browser found in MacBooks and other Apple devices. While you can block any website on Mac by editing the ‘hosts’ file from Method 2, there are other methods that are more customizable and provide better results. One such application that helps you avoid distractions is SelfControl.
1. Download the application and launch it on your MacBook.
2. Click on ‘Edit Blacklist’ and enter the links of the sites you want to limit.
3. On the app, adjust the slider to determine the duration of restriction on the selected sites.
4. Then click on ‘Start’ and all the websites on your blacklist will be blocked in Safari.
Also Read: Blocked or Restricted Websites? Here is How to Access them for free
Method 6: Block a Website on Android
Due to its user-friendliness and customizability, Android devices have become an extremely popular choice for smartphone users. While you cannot manipulate your internet configuration through Android settings, you can download applications that will block websites for you.
1. Go to the Google Play Store and download the BlockSite application for Android.
2. Open the app and enable all permissions.
3. On the main interface of the app, tap on the green plus icon in the bottom right corner to add a website.
4. The app will give you the option to not only block sites but also restrict distractive applications on your device.
5. Select the apps and websites you want to restrict and tap on ‘Done’ in the top right corner.
6. You will be able to block any website on your Android Phone.
Method 7: Block Websites on iPhone & iPads
For Apple, user security and privacy are of the highest concern. To uphold this principle, the company introduces various features on its devices that make the iPhone more secure. Here’s how you can block websites directly through your iPhone settings:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone and tap on the ‘Screen Time’
2. Here, tap on ‘Content and Privacy Restrictions.’
3. On the next page, enable the toggle next to the Content & Privacy Restrictions option and then tap on Content Restrictions.
4. On the Content Restrictions page, scroll down and tap on ‘Web Content.’
5. Here, you can either limit adult websites or tap on ‘Allowed Websites Only’ to restrict internet access to a select few child-friendly websites.
6. To block a particular website, tap on ‘Limit Adult Websites. Then tap on ‘Add Website’ under the NEVER ALLOW column.
7. Once added, you will be able to restrict access to any site on your iPhone and iPad.
- Windows 10 Tip: How to Block Internet Access
- 5 Ways to Access Blocked Websites on Android Phone
- How to Fix Android Screen Won’t Rotate
- Fix Microsoft Teams Keeps Restarting
The internet is filled with dangerous and inappropriate websites that are waiting to wreak havoc on your PC and distract you from your work. However, with the steps mentioned above, you should be able to tackle these challenges and direct your focus towards your work.
We hope this guide was helpful and you were able to block any website on your computer, phone, or network. If you have any further queries, feel free to ask them in the comments section below.